Introducing...Dane Jerald Allred
born Jan. 5, 2011
7:36 am
8lbs. 11 oz. 19 1/2 in. long
 |
| A few minutes after he was born. |
 |
| The kids came to visit that evening after school. They were all so excited. We didn't get a picture of Lauren throwing a fit when she had to leave because she thought it was still her turn to hold the baby. |
 |
Getting ready to head up to Spokane. Not real excited (to say the least) but felt like we should take one last picture before we left, not knowing what was ahead of us.
The day after he was born they detected a heart murmur and noticed that his breathing was quite rapid at times. The hospital in Moses Lake where he was born does not have the staff to do an echo cardiogram to see what was wrong with his heart so Dane's doctor recommended we get him up to the NICU in Spokane right away. Things happened quickly and within a few hours we were getting ready to put him on a life flight. They wouldn't let me ride with him since I had just delivered so my Dad drove me up and Derek rode with Dane. It was a traumatic experience but has turned out to be okay so far. They diagnosed him with VSD, a hole between the two ventricle chambers in his heart. It is a common heart defect and until he shows any signs of struggling to grow or breathe we will just continue to monitor the hole and hope that it will eventually close on its own. If not, and problems arise he will have heart surgery to repair it. The doctors tell us they do not perform surgery just because there is a hole, so for now we will just wait and see how he does and enjoy having him. |
 |
| Dressed and ready to leave the hospital! We spent 3 nights at the NICU. The medical staff there was great and especially the nurses. We always felt like we/Dane was in very good hands. |
 |
| Dylan and Dane |
 |
| First sponge bath at home. |
 |
| 2 weeks old |
 |
| I often find that Lauren has snuck in to where ever Dane is sleeping to kiss him or whisper sweet nothings in his ear. |
9 comments:
Soooo cute Carly! And it doesn't look like Little Lauren will let anything happen to Dane, at least not under her watch!
Oh, he is so darling. The birth announcement you sent was lovely. I love his hair. What a lucky boy to have such great siblings! That must have been a scary time in the NICU. I hope he ends up being just fine.
Oh, and this reminds me... I just found your Christmas card that I never re-sent. How embarrassing!
We are so glad Dane is here. It was so nice to see your sweet family while we were with my parents (Keith and Idris) at Christmas. We thank you for all you do to help them. It is a blessing to know they have such wonderful neighbors and a loving bishop. It is hard to believe I used to babysit my parents bishop, but that is how time flies. Thank you again and we will be praying for Dane. We have friends whose baby has a hole as well. In fact it is brother Helsleys granddaughter. Wallwy Helsleys daughter. They live here in the same stake as I do. Take care. Sherri Hebdon Larson
Carly- he is beautiful! I had no idea of his heart condidtion until now-reading your blog. I hope everything is ok. You'll be in my thoughts!
Holy smokes, congratulations! I can't believe you have 6! He is just beautiful, as all your kids are!! Owen had a heart murmur as well--it closed up by the time he was 6 months--we've never had an issue. We'll be praying the same for you. And is Derek the bishop? What? (I'm guessing that by reading a previous comment?) Because if so, I'd better stop my complaining about our situation here. Wow--congrats to you guys!! love you!
He is a handsome little guy and I love all his dark hair! I can see a bit of Lauren in him. What a sweet protector she will be! Congrats again!
Our family is so happy for your family, and we are pleased to learn that things are looking better. There is such a tender feeling with new babies arriving and it is noticable even through your blog post. His special heart will touch other's hearts and all will be well! Certainly our hearts are touched. We love your family and this littlest addition looks like he fits right in - so sweet and adorable.
Congratulations! He is beautiful. I've had two kids with VSD so far, and they've done okay. Good luck, and I hope all goes well!
Post a Comment